Trapping a raccoon

Quiet.evening

Trapping a raccoon

Post by Quiet.evening »

Hi everyone, this is where I could post a message, so here goes: best method of raccoon trapping, please? Currently attempting with a live trap and bait, and it snuck the bait without springing the door, clever beast. It’s probably after the barn chicks, but we can’t keep the doors closed. I’d shoot it but don’t have a .22.
Dorel

Re: Trapping a raccoon

Post by Dorel »

Did the raccoon take the bait from behind the trap or did it have to reach over the trigger from the front?
Vergas

Post by Vergas »

just putting this out there.
there are trappers that will take care of your problem.
just ask around.
I know of one.. but not sure if he is still trapping
plus they have their area. therefore ask around,

also.. just a suggestion.
I would cover the trap so he can't reach in to get the bait,
so he has to go in..
it might your trap???
set it up and see if it goes off??
if not. Make the adjustments , and try again..
you should get him

hope this helps
Quiet.evening

Post by Quiet.evening »

It’s been a while with predator problems at the rented farm share, and I have a few observations that are pretty basic, but are perhaps worth mentioning for any newbie who has the same problem.

We easily caught the first raccoon, second try. I just covered the trigger plate so it wasn’t obvious; it must have stepped over it to access bait the first time. It was taken a completely inadequate distance, less than 20 km, and very likely returned within a week.

If it didn’t return, there was still a family being taught to hunt using our chicks and chickens that mysteriously never were caught - and possibly, never approached any of the traps again, no matter what amazing bait was offered and how lightly we set the triggers etc. They simply chose to not take the bait and to eat numerous chicks out in the yard instead, perhaps (the chicks just disappeared, could have been anything) and take the occasional chicken.

My friend’s Pyrenees killed one young one, a weasel who was also in on the action was squashed in some haying equipment, and things have calmed down. The raccoon family seems to have moved on… the young are maybe grown enough?

A long-winded way of saying: this is why people kill raccoons. My neighbour who worked in property management said the pest control guy’s minimum distance to prevent raccoon return is 50 km?! It appears they learn to avoid traps, even if they are moved and changed. A generation has learned that the barn is a great place to get eggs, meat, and raise a family - just avoid the metal boxes.
Leo B

Post by Leo B »

Chickens are an amazing adventure. We've lost some to gold eagles, bold eagles, stoat (see the image for weasel vs stoat differences. as I've learned weasels actually don't hunt chickens, they go after smaller creatures), and a coyote. Had no idea all of them are around me! I've ended up building a fenced cage including a roof for the chickens and letting them forage only for a short time. So far that works.

Return to “Open discussion”