Homeschooling project - Tiny homes construction

Leo B

Homeschooling project - Tiny homes construction

Post by Leo B »

We are learning to build tiny homes as part of our homeschooling. Looking for:
  • kids interested to participate
  • experts who can help out during all stages: foundation, walls, roof, solar power and electric wiring, rainwater collection, filtration, plumbing, furniture building, and on.
  • materials
Please reply with your interest, needs and what you have to offer.
Heather/Marc

Re: Homeschooling project - Tiny homes construction

Post by Heather/Marc »

Hello. I am living in a tiny home now and am happy to share any information / experiences that may be relevant. This is Heather and I share the log in with Marc who has lots of experience with solar, rain water catchment, plumbing etc as well as having built the tiny home. It is natural materials as much as possible.

H
Quiet.evening

Re: Homeschooling project - Tiny homes constructio

Post by Quiet.evening »

Leo, are you building at your place? Our kids can join in if you like. Gavin might take some persuading, but anything your boys are doing he will probably agree to. Nicola is more of a demolition type, but she might get quite excited once she understands what is going on. Paul and I aren’t experts in anything except living in small spaces - we did that for most of 10 years. No matter what you have to give up, never reduce the bed length by 6 inches! I am also pretty good at finding second hand/ used stuff and have a lot of experience collecting wood pallets.

Anne
Dorel

Post by Dorel »

I have two projects on the go. I could use help with some framing. I have mini excavator service to trade or possibly solar panels.
Heather/Marc

Post by Heather/Marc »

Shared experience / problem solving....

We have been noticing some ants in the tiny and yesterday after some diffing found 3 ant colonies. They seem to be eating the cork insulation. Both cork and wood wool have been used for insulation. I have tried borax, but there has been no change...and actually, clearly the issue has gotten much worse.

They are getting in from two places. I have a box bed of lettuce against the house. It was touching the fender and so they were climbing up there, onto the fender then in. Also, on the planks that are supporting the dry composting toilet. It is complicated getting everything off the ground, or secured from insects.

Heather
IslesTrader

Post by IslesTrader »

If you need any help transforming adult skills to skills and learning for the younger set I've been doing that very thing for my entire career.

Return to “Construction”